Monday, November 23, 2009

Motivation

Have you ever stopped to think about what motivates you in life? When you get right down to it, it seems to be personal needs. This answer came to me in the last ten seconds of thought, so I'm sure that there is a better answer... but I want to discuss this one.

Individuals need certain things... food, water, shelter. Really, it's quite easy to get these things. Okay, maybe not in this economy. However most times it is easy to go flip burgers for minimum wage to pay for a roof over your head and some ramen on your table. Why then doesn't everyone flip burgers or dig ditches? Answer: Relationships.

I care about my relationship with my Dad and my Mom. They took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself. They selflessly take care of me still today. College was their idea, as it is for all parents concerning their children, and I am thankful for their nudge in the right direction. Actually, it was a giant push... but I'm still quite happy. I love my family, and am thankful for their guidance in my life. At what point do I stop relying on their ideas though? At what point do I stop taking cues from the relationships in my life and stand on my own two feet?

Alright, enough of the soul searching. I will think more about this and expand upon it. As humans we need relationships. If only it were that simple...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment